- Web 800x530px 28.22cm x 18.7cm@72dpi
- HQ 4928x3264px 41.72cm x 27.6cm@300dpi
Courtyard of Viscri fortified church
The origins of the fortified church date from 1100 when the Székelys built a small church with a single hall and semicircular apse. Around 1185 the church was taken over by Saxon colonists, and the Székelys were forced to settle further north. In the 14th century the eastern part of the church was rebuilt and in 1525, the first fortifications with towers were added. In the 18th century the church was surrounded by a second defense wall.