- Web 533x800px 18.81cm x 28.2cm@72dpi
- HQ 2304x3456px 19.51cm x 29.3cm@300dpi
OMERIYEH MOSQUE Near the Old Municipal Market within the walled city of Nicosia - Cyprus Converted into a mosque in 1571 by Mustapha Pasha, who believed that the original 14th century Augustinian church of St. Mary's, was built on the spot where prophet Omer rested when visiting Nicosia. Most of the original building was destroyed by Ottoman artillery. Engraved tombstones of the Lusignan period were used to re-floor the mosque. Remains of late Venetian building can be seen near the east end of the mosque.